Sunday, May 18, 2008

Gardening and other fun

It's now officially Spring for me and my spouse. We've spent the last five hours digging, turning dirt, and pulling weeds from the vegetable garden. Last year was a miss, but this year we're planting. I didn't realize how much I would miss the fresh veg. I still get a thrill when I see something growing. So far there are five varieties of tomato, three types of peppers, green peas, cucumber, and potatoes to plant. I wonder what else I can try to grow? And as opportune as this weekend may seem to plant them, it won't be until next weekend or later that they'll actually go in the ground. I've had too many plants die from the frost when I've planted before the last week in May.

But boy am I sore. My leg muscles are screaming at me. I have two blisters on my thumb that attest to the intensity of the work I did. I sure am glad I took some Tylenol 3 before I started that work!

And like all things, it took longer than expected. There are perennials to plant also and because they are going to new locations, the earth has to be prepped before that can happen. I don't have the strength to do anymore hard labour today.

Parker has turned into quite the gardener's helper. If we tell him to dig, he will. He's fast too. The unfortunate part is that he sent a lot of the earth out of the garden. But his heart and feet were in the right place! Got to love dogs and digging! Good boy.

Carpe Diem!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home